(1665/66, Berwick-Upon-Tweed, England - 1719, Anne Arundel Co., MD)
From: "Historic Families of America" and Ancestry of Albert Gallatin and of Hannah Nicholson, NY, and des. By Will. Plumb Bacon. New York,1916. (57p.)
William Nicholson, son of the preceding William and Anne Nicholson, was born at Berwick-Upon-Tweed, England in 1665/66. He was the first of the name known to be in Maryland, being settled in Annapolis around 1700. In December, 1703, he purchased 1,000 acres of land at the head of Bush River in Baltimore County, a property known as Poplar Neck. Between 1707 and 1719, he acquired several other tracts of land amounting to nearly 3,000 acres. In 1719, he patented 4,200 acres, afterward known as Nicholson's Manor on the Gunpowder River in Baltimore County.
William Nicholson married Elizabeth Burgess, daughter of Captain Edward and Sarah (Chew) Burgess. They has six children. Sarah died sometime before William. William Nicholson died in 1719, his will being proved in Annapolis, September 25, 1719, and a sworn copy filed in London in 1720. After his death, his children were sent back to England to be brought up and educated under the care of a sister of their father. Only two of them, William and Joseph, returned to America. Benjamin Nicholson and his wife Margaret were in Berwick-Upon-Tweed in 1750. Samuel Nicholson was a physician of Stockton-Upon-Tees in 1750. Edward Nicholson died without issue in England in December, 1739. The only daughter of the family was Elizabeth Nicholson, who was born September 14, 1707 and died March 27, 1711.